REASONS FOR VOLUNTEERING
The reasons for wishing to become a member of the Chugiak Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company Inc. or of any volunteer organization are endless. Regardless of your reason you must want to be a part of the organization. During an emergency we are a strategic team of emergency professionals, and after we are able to enjoy being a close-knit family of friends and neighbors. We’re always willing to welcome another good neighbor into our ranks.
CVFRD has three types of membership that are detailed here including:
- Active Member
- Junior Member
- Affiliate Member
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
Affiliate membership is designed to provide daytime (M-F) response coverage as outlined in department policies from the crew living quarters. The following information will provide an overview of the various programs available, the requirements, the application and acceptance process, and the training and probationary process. This information should assist you in determining if volunteering with CVFRD is right for you.
CVFRD has three types of membership that are detailed here including; active, affiliate, and junior members.
An active member will be assigned to a crew and will respond nights and weekends with that crew as outlined in department policy. Active members must possess a valid driver’s license and a high school diploma or G.E.D. Active members residing outside the Fire Service Area area must make their required hours in residence at the crew living quarters.
Affiliate membership is designed to provide daytime (M-F) response coverage as outlined in department policies from the crew living quarters.
We also offer a few membership benefits to our members, such as a AAA Alaska membership discount, so be sure to ask about them during your orientation if you choose to become a volunteer.
A junior firefighter shall be a minimum of fourteen(14) years of age, reside in the Anchorage School District’s Chugiak High School attendance area, adhere to all rules and regulations of the Company and those described herein:
- Will not be allowed to make motions, vote or hold office.
- Shall assist at fire scenes and emergencies as directed by the incident commander when they have been approved by the Chief and may function as a medic if qualified.
- May not respond to calls during their normal school hours.
- May be dismissed for cause immediately by majority vote of the Executive Board.
- Shall maintain current Anchorage School District minimum grade point average for extracurricular activities.
- Must have written parental permission to apply as a junior