REASONS FOR VOLUNTEERING
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
Affiliate membership is designed to provide daytime (M-F) response coverage as outlined in department policies from the crew living quarters. The following information will provide an overview of the various programs available, the requirements, the application and acceptance process, and the training and probationary process. This information should assist you in determining if volunteering with CVFRD is right for you.
CVFRD has four types of membership that are detailed here including; active, reserve, affiliate, and junior members.
An active member will be assigned to a crew and will respond nights and weekends with that crew as outlined in department policy. Active members must possess a valid driver’s license and a high school diploma or G.E.D. Active members residing outside the Fire Service Area area must make their required hours in residence at the crew living quarters.
Reserve firefighters will be assigned to a duty crew and will respond to all emergencies upon request. There will be a maximum of nine(9) reserve members at any given time. The reserve member’s duty will be to perform miscellaneous tasks on the fire ground as determined by the officer in charge. A reserve member will be required to attend all business meetings and training meetings of the Company as is reasonably practical. He/She shall be a minimum of eighteen(18) years of age, reside in the CVFRD Fire Service Area and possess a valid drivers license.
A junior firefighter shall be a minimum of fourteen(14) years of age, reside in the Anchorage School District’s Chugiak High School attendance area, adhere to all rules and regulations of the Company and those described herein:
- Will not be allowed to make motions, vote or hold office.
- Shall assist at fire scenes and emergencies as directed by the incident commander when they have been approved by the Chief and may function as a medic if qualified.
- May not respond to calls during their normal school hours.
- May be dismissed for cause immediately by majority vote of the Executive Board.
- Shall maintain current Anchorage School District minimum grade point average for extracurricular activities.
- Must have written parental permission to apply as a junior
Affiliate membership is designed to provide daytime (M-F) response coverage as outlined in department policies from the crew living quarters.
We also offer a few membership benefits to our members, such as a AAA Alaska membership discount, so be sure to ask about them during your orientation if you choose to become a volunteer.